Thursday, February 26, 2015

Book Beginnings and The Friday 56



I'm linking up with Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings and Freda's Voice for Page 56. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Pick the closest book on your book stack and join the fun.

The Beginning:

Late on night in 1996 , just as I had dozed off in bed, my phone rang. The caller was Matthiaas Krigs, a graduate student in my laboratory at the Zoological Institute of the University of Munich. All he said was, "It's not human."

Page 56:

"As we were painstakingly developing methods to detect and eliminate contamination, we were frustrated by flashy publication in Nature and Science whose authors, on the surface of things, were much more successful than we were and whose accomplishments dwarfed the scant products of our cumbersome efforts to retrieve DNA sequences :only" a few tens of thousands of years old."

This is from Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes by Svante Paabo. I don't read that much non-fiction but this one sounded interesting and it has been on my wish list for awhile. The first time I checked my library did not have a copy but on my last trip I found it had been added and was on the shelf. It is interesting but as you can see from the page 56 quote it has some very long sentences.

No comments: